Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Aviatrix Medallion ~ Part One: Center Star + Border 1

Aviatrix Medallion is by far the most complicated quilt I've ever done. By far. Just cutting and organizing all the fabrics took me days because there felt like a thousand pieces that were all different shapes and sizes.

The center medallion looked really intimidating. It's a Lone Star pattern, and the pieces are tiny! So naturally I decided to do it in English Paper Piecing. It took me a very, very long time, but it's finally done. It looked pretty good, and the points lined up.

And then ... I realized my big, big mistake. I forgot to account for one side of the seam allowance, so each diamond was 1/8" bigger on each side than it was supposed to be. That means my star is several inches too big! I wasn't about to redo it, nor can I stand cutting off the star points, so my only option was to change Border 1's dimensions so that from this point on, the size is right again.

So I appliqued the star onto the background and added a scrappy border instead of the half-square triangle border as in the pattern.

That was a tough lesson to learn about double-checking my math! Hopefully there are no further snafus in this project.

Previous posts on this quilt:

  • Part Zero

    1. Wow, that is beautiful, Liz! No one will ever know. Great solution.

    2. That is one perfect star! Glad you were able to keep those star points!


    Thank you for visiting and for your comments! I try to reply to comments, so if you don't hear from me, check if you're a no-reply blogger. Have a nice day!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...