In order to be really scrappy, I cut out a total of 448 squares (half white, half from scraps) of 2.5" sq, and 112 squares (half white, half scraps) of 4.5" sq. That sounds like a lot of cutting, but I managed to do it fairly quickly and had a lot of fun too mostly because of the Stripology ruler from Creative Grids designed by Gudrun Erla. I saw it demonstrated at Quilt Fest and thought it was brilliant. It is my most expensive ruler, but completely worth it as it makes cutting strips accurate and really fun. In fact, I find every excuse to use this ruler!
After getting all my squares, I chain-pieced one white square to one colored square. Then, to make it really random, I mixed it all in a bin. I then grabbed pairs and put them together randomly. I only just started, but I will need to make 28 16-patches and 28 4-patches.
I wasn't feeling too sure when I was stitching individual squares together, but as the blocks came out one by one, I knew it was going to be great. The impact of scraps is undeniable. After all, despite their randomness, there's one common thread ... my taste.