I used a black / white layer cake that I really treasured, in addition to some random fat quarters I had. I basted differently than I had done before, and I much like my new method for basting. For the first time, it didn't leave me the problem of excess fabric that led to puckering and distorted blocks. For quilting, I did a diagonal grid, as the 9-patch was just asking for it.
Visually, I'm very happy with this quilt, but it feels different from everything else I've made, because it is the least densely quilted of all by far. I'm in fact a little uncomfortable with how much less quilting there is here, even though the batting's specification says it's okay. As a result, it is a much softer quilt than my others, but it makes me feel a little nervous at the same time. Time will tell if it will hold up!